Till 1926 the sports competitions in Bursa used to be performed in the field of Atıcılar. During Atatürk's 5th visit in Bursa from 20th May to 14th June 1926, Governor Kemal Bey and Army Corps Commander Ali Hikmet Pasha expressed that the city lacked a sports facility and asked the President to assist with this issue. Upon this request Mustafa Kemal Pasha ordered for the construction of a stadium in a convenient place and furthermore he donated 1000 liras as a contribution to the construction of the stadium.
Upon the order the administrators of the city decided for the construction of a stadium in the place where Atatürk Stadium is located today which is a place owned by the treasury and known as ''Bahçe Beylik''. Army Corps Commander Ali Hikmet Pasha ordered to bring work machines from the corps of engineer in Balıkesir. He had the required leveling work done. After a short while, a further fund of 2000 liras by Fatih Güvendiren appointed as the Governor of Bursa to replace Kemal Gedeleç was found. Thus the football field was put into service having been completed in 1930 as the fist stadium projected in the north-south direction. According to the information included in 1934 Bursa almanac this stadium covered an area of approximately 2 ha. and had a concrete tribune of 300 persons.
After a while, this stadium became insufficient for Bursa. In 1938 the construction of a new stadium was started in the north of the former stadium (in the place where the current stadium is located) this time in the direction of east-west. This stadium would be placed within a sports complex. The project of the complex and the stadium was prepared by Viyenti Viyola, the Italian architect who had drawn the projects of 19 Mayıs stadium and hippodrome in Ankara and who realized the construction of the same. In the complex, there would be a football field, swimming pool, tennis court shooting range, an indoor horse training place, playground and a casino. Nevertheless due to the fact that the selected east-west area was not suitable for a football field as well as other drawbacks and economic impossibilities only the football field of the complex could be completed.
Following Haşim İşçan's appointment as the Governor of Bursa in 1945, the issue stadium was put into the agenda again. The old stadium with east-west direction was destroyed and the construction of today’s Atatürk Stadium started on a modern plan convenient to the system.
The construction of stadium’s football field, atheism track with six lanes and closed tribune was completed in early 1950. The first section of construction was realized by Şerif Çapan, the contractor; and the second section was realized by Ahmet Ürük with trust procedure under the responsibility of Emlak Bank.
The First match was played in February 1950 under the management of Hasan Kesimel, he referee between Akınspor vs. Acar İdmanyurdu and resulted in the 2-1 victory of Akınspor. The first goal of the stadium was scored Nurettin Sezgiç from Akınspor.
The stadium which was developed in time by adding additional sections besides closed tribune with two goal back tribunes and marathon tribune was germinated in 1978. And in 1994-1995 the stadium was enlightened to enable night matches to be played. The First night match was played between Bursaspor vs. Galatasaray, the Istanbul team and Bursaspor left the field with a victory score of 1-0.
In 1997 the top of the goal back at the side of Uludağ was covered with space frame system and thus the three fourths of the stadium were covered.
Bursa Atatürk Stadium in the season of 2005-2006 as a requirement of UEFA criteria;
- Seat capacity of the stadium is 19798. The number of tickets printed for the match days is 18865 for security purposes. Seat capacity is 180 in the protocol tribune 616 in VIP tribunes, 1220 in the Closed Tribunes, 4495 in the Marathon Tribune, 8024 in the Closed Goal Back Tribunes, 3309 in the Open Goal Back Tribunes, and the Guest Tribune has a capacity of 988 persons.
- Stadium has 15 entrance doors and 24 tourniquets with barcode system.
- It was equipped with totally 51 cameras 12 of which are internal, 22 of which are external and 3 of which are split cameras with rotary heads;
- a press study hall of 30 square meters which the photo journalists can benefit from was made and 80 wired internet means of 8 Megabits were provided,
- In the press tribune 80 wireless internet means of 8 Megabits were provided and wireless system accessible within the field was established,
- Security cameras and a security room where audio system can be controlled were founded.
PREPARATION FOR THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GAMES
After Bursaspor won the championships at the end of the season 2009-2010 The stadium had a big renovation during april-agust 2010 in order to prepare for the champions legue matches. The stadium succesfully renovated and brought up to the criteria for Fifa Champions league matches. Please see the renovation process at our photo gallery.